Tuesday, December 4, 2007

What Requirements?

This week, three projects with a total sum budget around NZD 500 Million came to me with the same request.
"ummm, (cap in hand, staring at toes) we need an identity infrastructure built for our project (not making eye contact)".
"Ok. do you have any requirements for me and the team?"
"No. We don't have time."
"!"

I think the issue is that we have technologists running projects that belong to the business. Rather than technologists being engaged by the business to deliver stuff. We are all the same. We just want to build stuff, and see how it turns out. I don't think I would get me to run a NZD100 Million project to make our phones ring.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel privileged to be the first to post on your blog. Probably because I am the first to read it too.. ;)

Yes, being a technologist within a business driven environment can be hard, especially with big swinging budgets stalking the cubicles. And yes, their lack of planning or requirements is a huge contributor to failed projects. I know it goes against "we just want to build stuff" but lets build something that has been planned and well thought out from the start.

Slowblink said...

thanks Derek. You are privileged indeed.