Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Friends in High Places

Spent the last week in Queenstown. Stayed with some old friends whom are deeply embedded in the ski industry. 
After they picked us up from the airport and drove to their house, the first thing I see as the garage door opens is:
3 mountain bikes
1 road bike
4 pairs of alpine skis (slalom + super G)
3 pairs of telemarking skis
3 pairs of x-country skis
1 pair of childrens skis
a football
2 pairs of ice climbing boots
countless (at least 10) assorted ski boots (telemarking, downhill, cross country etc)
Baby trailer (for towing children on a mtb)

They don't earn much but ski most days before work and most days off. In the summer they ride a whole bunch of cool tracks with and without the family in tow.
Our host is the former NZ ski racing coach, and he kindly gave me a few pointers to improve my skiing. 

My goal for September is to drain the acid from my legs.

Today I fly back to wellington to my job. Why am I doing this again?

1 comment:

Miki Szikszai said...

WOW - what a kick ass break - give me a yell when you get back!